Monday, September 1, 2014

Blogging in Class

I had serious reservations about the blogging portion of this class when we first started.  I thought that blogging was something that other people did.  In the beginning I was using the topics provided by the professor, and, with his focus on us learning all about the flipped classroom, I was extremely bored.  I got really tired of the subject long before it stopped being a major focus of our assignments.  I learned a lot about the flipped class with the paper that was assigned on this topic.  The research that I did won me over on the benefits of using the teaching method.  I would have liked to skip the group assignment and gone right to that topic.  Our class seemed very redundant with the repeating subject.


When the professor gave us permission to explore other subject matter in our blogs besides the suggestions that he provided, I began to see the charm.  We were able to truly and openly express ourselves and, with the added assignment of reading other classmate's blogs, we also got to know each other through our writing.  When we began to personalize our writing, it opened the door to gaining insight into each other's thoughts and, sometimes, lives.  Blogging has given me an outlet in which I can get some thoughts out of my head instead of letting them swirl around endlessly.  I can now appreciate the assignment and experience.

2 comments:

  1. I concur... This was exactly what I went through. Writing the pre-determined blog subjects until I was blue in the face. Then getting the freedom to write about whatever I chose, just so that it would still be in regards to readers (aka. my classmates). I feel that I got to definitely express myself in a way that I haven't in a long time and encourages me to continue writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are correct, but you had the right to blog what you wanted from the very beginning. I make suggestions for post (except the final week, which are required) so that students have something to blog about. It just took you weeks to break the student mind-set and take control of your own education.

    I trust that you both continue to blog as I enjoy reading you.

    ReplyDelete