Saturday, November 8, 2014

Post 12 - Logical Fallacies in the Media

 I received a couple of responses to my last post about logical fallacies in politics.  I think that I was misunderstood and I would like to clear the confusion.  I wasn't trying to say that the recent elections were not a representation of democracy in action.  I thoroughly believe that the people spoke, either by casting their ballot or their lack of participation in the election.  I also don't think that the election was "rigged" or that the Republicans cheated in any way.  They obviously won the popular vote and therefore won most of their races.  I was attempting to communicate my opinion that the Republican party is better at telling the people a message and having their audience believe in that message.  I think that this is a prime example of illogical fallacies in the media.  The Democratic party tries to explain their positions on topics to the point that people stop listening, and the Republican party pushed an anti-Obama message that was repeated over and over to the point that the people heard it.  I'm being critical of the Democratic party not the Republican party!!  If anything I'm in awe of the Republican party's expert ability to take a message and have masses of people hear it and, in turn, repeat it for them.  They've built a logical fallacy machine of massive proportions and I wish that the Democratic party would play the political game using the same rules that the Republican party have defined.  I was attempting to communicate my admiration for the Republican's skill in the use of logical fallacies, not to criticize the election results.  I'm not happy with the results, but the people spoke and, as a citizen, I accept the results of the voice of the majority.

I apologize for not communicating my point well and I would appreciate your reevaluation of my last post.  I am not looking for an Internet argument about politics....I've learned that a political argument never turns out well, either in person or on the web.  Politics and religion are not casual conversation topics and I try not to hold a discussion on either with people that I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment