Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Post 20 - Myth in Charles Martin, "Taken Up"


In Charles Martin's poem "Taken Up," the author is describing a group of people waiting on a hill, watching a disc-like flying ship with a "glowing wheel of lights." It descended down on the hill where the group of people were waiting, and they watched it land. Martin then wrote about an alien came out of the ship, "And those who watched them were confirmed in faith:" The poem then spoke of them speaking to the group of humans with "Light was their speech, spanning mind to mind." The aliens communicated telepathically with the group of humans and asked them if they wanted to leave Earth and exchange "amplitude for emptiness?"
The humans were then pulled up into the ship, bent back with their arms and legs hanging down slightly, like every ufo abduction you've ever seen in a hollywood movie. This was a fun poem to read and dealt with an unusual type of mythology from the typical God-like myth. Their are many people who believe in extraterresterial beings and ships from outer space. This is a popular myth in our current culture, so it was interesting to read and write about.
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I must have missed this one, because I surely would have remembered reading it, what page was it on? I agree that this particular subject is a relatively hot debate. I wonder if I would go with aliens if given the chance. Would you?

    Perhaps one day extraterrestrials will be a truth rather than just a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliens are a very interesting topic. I think there are aliens somewhere, I am not sure how they look or what they actually do but I think they are real. They are probably not gray like they always look but I do not actually know. I think it would be very interesting to meet one

    ReplyDelete