Thursday, May 28, 2015

Post 21 - Myth in My Life

I lived in California during elementary school. In the small town in central California that I grew up, the Mormon church was the dominant religion. My best friends through elementary school were a part of a typical Mormon family. I was always playing at their house after school and on the weekends, and so naturally attended church with them. I appreciated the feeling of being around a normal, intact family. My mom was a single parent and not around very much because she was working to support our family. The acceptance and normalcy of my friends' home was a welcome change from what my home was like. Their lives revolved around the Mormon church. As a result, I began to be taught about the doctrine of the church and was eventually baptized. Once I became an adult, I started to really look at what the religion was about and the beliefs that they enforced. If you've ever taken a step back and really analyzed what religion is about, it can seem a little bit crazy. The only reason that I believed the myth of the Mormon religion is because I was taught at a very young, impressionable age that their religion was the truth.
Children do not have critical thinking skills to a point that they are able to separate truth from myth. You can see this all over the globe. For the most part, children believe and take on the religion of their childhood home. Children born of Christians are Christian, Muslim parents raise Muslim children, Buddhist parents raise Buddhist children, and so on. This tells me that the myth of religion is subject to a person's parentage and geography. Every person with faith believes that the other religions are not the right religion. That says something about the myth of religion.

2 comments:

  1. I think religion is important because it supports healthy values of family, being nice to each other, and it helps one live a good life. I think the actual faith does not lie with one religion, I just think each religion has a different understanding of the same message. I think the most important part of any religion is to be a good person, sometimes people will claim to be christian but be very hateful like Mrs. Turpin in the Revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very great post! I was raised to be Catholic but never went to church.

    ReplyDelete