Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Post 8 - The Theme of "The Fall of the House of Usher"

I think that the theme of "The Fall of the House of Usher" is the many ways that people can be "ushered" into another status in life. The sister, Madeline, was being "ushered" into death from her illness. The brother, Roderick, was being ushered into madness with the looming death of his sister. The house was "ushered" into disrepair and collapse. The family name was "ushered" into its demise with the end of the family line being the twins, the dying sister and rapidly psychotic brother. And at the very end, the narrator was "ushered" away from the house with his frightened retreat of the twins.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your opinion regarding the theme from which, gave me great insight relating to my opinion and I concluded a little differently but for the most apart I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, well said. I thought that he thought Madeline was himself since they were twins. I thought he probably wanted to die or kill himself. It had to be terrifying that your brother wants to kill you. But Madeline escape from being buried. When Roderick saw her he probably thought she came back to hunt him

    ReplyDelete